Friday, February 15, 2008

Week #5: Whew! Almost Missed It!

Hmm... I often wonder where the time goes. As I sit here about to leave the confines of my apartment and venture into the blustery cold, I almost missed posting a blog this week! Where does the time go?!?

As we wrapped up 'Cosmopolitanism' (and not a moment too soon, I might add) I am wondering how someone arrives at the philosophical and sociological mindframe that Appiah presented himself as in his text. I just can't do it. Although I understand (most of) what he is saying, I cannot fathom putting myself into that state of mind to write such deep and opinionative statements.

But give Appiah credit. Some of what he said is not easy to say. It took a lot of guts and pride to hang himself and his views out there on the line like he did. I have to admit, I did not enjoy reading 'Cosmopolitanism,' but I think it's healthy for us (humans) to experience someone's point of view on how the world should "operate" every once in a while. It keeps us in check. Even though I did not enjoy reading the text, I think more about others now. And more about utilitarianism vs. cosmopolitanism. Which idea is best? IS there a best?

I DO hope Gower's text is a little more enjoyable for me, but I hope the excitement of reading philosophical claims remains. I guess we'll find out! And now I guess we'll discover just how cold and miserable it really is outside.

No comments: